Clay (short for Clayton) is a crotchety old saddle tank engine. He works as a light goods engine.
Clay was built in 1908 and was the Waterdown's first and oldest engine. He helped build most of the railway alongside Creed, under the instruction of Mr Traverse's grandfather.
Clay is typically a very stubborn old tank engine who constantly rattles on about how things were much better in the olden days. Because of this he, unintentionally, gets on the other engines nerves, particularly Cojak, and upon them teasing him about the olden days will typically get annoyed. Clay also sometimes overestimates his performance. Despite this, Clay is a hard working Tank Engine with a good heart and will always try to offer advice to the younger engines.
H̶e̶ ̶a̶l̶s̶o̶ ̶m̶a̶y̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶m̶a̶y̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶a̶f̶f̶e̶c̶t̶i̶o̶n̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶w̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶C̶r̶e̶e̶d̶’̶s̶ ̶e̶y̶e̶b̶r̶o̶w̶s̶.̶
Clay is painted in plain black livery.
- Clay Is loosely based on the SECR S Class No. 865, a C Class converted into a tank engine. It was scrapped upon withdrawal in 1951.
- Public Enemy
- Down The Drains
- From Dusk Until Dawn
- Going Haywire
- Nightmares (does not speak)
- The Mail Bag Snag (cameo)
- Rebel Iron (cameo)
- Kindred Spirits
- Merry Christmas Lines (audio)
- 2016 SIF Alternative Christmas Message
- Haydn: Public Enemy onwards
- Outside of Crossed Lines, Clay, along with Cojak, appeared on Louie's channel in a skit featuring one of Louie's characters, Magnum.
- One of Clay's talents is singing.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.